I’ve worked in retail for a while, I'm coming up on 10 years in the industry. The longer I’m in it, the more aware I am of how our modern retail structure needs redemption!
Did you know that textile manufacturing, including the apparel industry, is the second largest polluter in the world?
In a time when technology and information are easily accessible, the retail world is an exception and continues to be a mysterious beast to many of us. For such a HUGE industry, there is particularly little information we, as consumers, know or seemingly understand about the products we purchase on a regular basis. Well, this blog is here to change that. I wish to start a conversation with you in hopes that we would come to learn more about the retail industry and the significant impact it makes on our world. From the tiniest of purchases, to the monster that is global logistics, I hope and pray that this blog here on Cord + Cobalt would become a resource for you, not only in educating yourself for smart decision-making while shopping, but also in how together we can better contribute to social issues all over the world.
Some things we will talk about in our hopes for redeeming retail:
- What environmental factors are involved in redeeming retail
- Who are the movers and shakers that are starting conversations or making steps for change in the industry
- Where are the individuals affected by our consumer decisions and what does their life look like on a day-to-day basis
- What are some ways that our decision making can control an outcome
- Why we should be aware of the entities of retail and care about how our retailers manage their businesses
As we go along please feel free to comment and contribute to the conversation. I would love to know your thoughts and any recommendations for topics of discussion or literature to check out!